Pittsfield Fire Department's quick response saves Lakeway Drive house
Residents of the home at 61 Lakeway Drive say the fire started at around 5:45 p.m., when Rosemary Mazzeo noticed a plug to her oxygen tank sparked and a flame began traveling up the device.
"It could have been serious because there's oxygen in the house," said Mazzeo's daughter, Melissa Degere.
Deputy Raymond Tart said officials were able to contain fire damage to the objects in Mazzeo's bedroom, though heat and smoke damage extended beyond the one room. He said the fire was clearly accidental, but declined to comment further on the cause until investigators could look the house over.
Mazzeo, who's in a wheelchair, said one of her daughters wheeled her from the home at the fire's inception. Her voice was reduced to a whisper — "I lost my voice," she said — as she spoke of the objects she wished to salvage from the room. Among them: her artwork and her Kindle.
"It's all gone," her daughters told her, assuring her insurance would cover the damaged objects. "But you're here."
Reach Amanda Drane at 413-496-6296, or @amandadrane on Twitter.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.