Night skiing, 'Candlelight and Chocolate,' and New Year's Day yoga
Here's just a sample of things to do before 2016 is through. Cheers!
- The "$10 Night Owl Lift Ticket" is back at Bousquet, 101 Dan Fox Drive, Pittsfield. Ski or snowboard from 3 to 9 p.m. for $10, this and every Thursday night, weather permitting. The Malibu Brothers will also be playing from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Tamarack Lodge.
- Herman Melville's Arrowhead residence, 780 Holmes Road, in Pittsfield, will host "Candlelight and Chocolate Tours" at 7 p.m., this Thursday and Friday. Tours will be led by former Berkshire County Historical Society Director Betsy Sherman, followed by a cider and chocolate reception and Q & A. The cost is $25 per person; reservations are required and can be made by calling 413-442-1793, ext. 12 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Red Lion Inn, 30 Main St., Stockbridge, will have fireside musicians in the front lobby. Today, harpist Teresa Mango will be there from noon to 3 p.m. (as well as at the same time Friday and Saturday), followed by guitarist Tom Savoy, from 4 to 5. On Friday, Savoy returns from 4 to 5 p.m., followed by pianist Jon Hipps from 6 to 9.
- The Lion's Den, located below The Red Lion Inn, 30 Main St., Stockbridge, has live music every night, never a cover. Tonight, check out Celtic-infused folk by Rakish Paddy. Rock Steady! plays rock 'n' roll, R&B, blues, funk, reggae and ska on Friday.
- Sounds and Tones Records presents, "Hometown Holiday Hardcore Show," at the Adams Elks Lodge, 63 Center St., in Adams. Doors open at 6 p.m., show starts at 7. The lineup includes: Brain Habits (from the Berkshires), Guilt Ritual (Western Mass.), Sounds and Tones own Crafter, Before I Had Wings (Mass./N.Y.), and DOPEGHOST (Springfield).
- Deperado's 246 Main St., Williamstown (in the Colonial Shopping Center) will host its fourth annual Acoustic Evening with local group Maple Cap, starting at 7 p.m. No cover.
- The Women of Color Giving Circle will celebrate the seven principles of Kwanzaa, with a panel of speakers, drumming and dinner, from 5:30 to 7 p.m., at The Whitney Center for the Arts, 42 Wendell Ave., Pittsfield. There's a suggested $5 donation.
- Wanda Houston brings her style of jazz and R&B to Firefly Gastropub & Catering Co., 71 Church St., in Lenox, starting at 8:30 p.m.
- Dewey Hall, 91 Main St., Sheffield, will host an "Almost New Year's Contra Dance" celebration to the music of Riptide. A beginner's contra dance lesson will be held from 7:30 to 8 p.m., and dancing with caller Jon Greene will go from 8 to 11. Suggested donations are $8 for students, $10-15 for adults. No experience or partner are necessary.
New Year's Eve
See more details in our New Year's Eve events listing.
New Year's Day
You can sleep in, or jumpstart 2017 with a variety of First Day 5k races or yoga celebrations:
- Bartholomew's Cobble, 105 Weatogue Road, in Ashley Falls, will host a New Year's Sunrise Hike at 6:30 a.m., starting with coffee at the Visitors Center. Registration is required, and the fee is $5 for non-members. Info: 413-298-3239, ext. 3013 or email@example.com
- "New Year at Notchview: First Day Ski, Snowshoe or Hike," will be held from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at Notchview Reservation, 2241 Route 9, Windsor. The cafe will be open for hot cocoa and coffee.
- Peaceful Warrior Yoga with Lawrence Carroll will begin at 8 a.m., at Berkshire Yoga Dance & Fitness, 55 North St., Suite 201, Pittsfield.
- Lenox Yoga, 4 Main St., Lenox, will host a moderate Peaceful Vinyasa Flow with Nora, at 9:30 a.m.
- LifeWorks Studio, 50 Castle St., Suite 2, Great Barrington, will host a barre class at 9:35 a.m., with Ilana Siegal. Sign up at lifeworks-studio.com.
- Berkshire Running Center presents "First Race New Year's Day 2017," starting at Hotel on North, 297 North St., in Pittsfield. The 5k race starts at 11 a.m., followed by a brunch buffet and awards ceremony at the hotel. The registration fee is $30 in advance or $35 on race day. Register online at: berkshirerunningcenter-com.3dcartstores.com
- North Adams Yoga, 26 Holden St., North Adams, will hold a day of classes, by donation, to benefit the Eleanor Sonsini Animal Shelter. The schedule is as follows: 11 a.m., all levels yoga; 12:30 p.m., core; 1:30 p.m., fitness; 3 p.m., relaxation; 4:30 p.m., all levels; 6 p.m., intermediate flow. Info: northadamsyoga.com
- Yoga Great Barrington, 30 Elm Court, second floor, Great Barrington, will host a master class with Kat Whitney, starting at 11 a.m. Register at yogagb.com
- From noon to 1:30 p.m., ring in your new year with upbeat yoga for all levels inspired by new beginnings and bright intentions for 2017. This class, led by Gillian and Cathy, includes creative Vinyasa flow and standing poses balanced with calming Pranayama (breath exercises) and restorative yoga set to a beautiful, eclectic soundtrack. Sign up at radiance-yoga.com/yoga-classes
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.