IS183 gala, live music, comedy on in the Berkshires
In addition to Pittsfield's Third Thursdays festival kick-off taking place tonight, here's a look at what else is in store:
- This week's jazz schedule at Castle Street Cafe in Great Barrington includes two fantastic female-fronted and local groups: The Wanda Houston Band plays Friday night, and Misty Blues performs on Saturday. Music begins around 8.
- In addition to ongoing screenings in its Little Cinema, the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield has two special happenings this week.
Tonight, catch "PechaKucha Night #17: Growth," starting at 7 p.m. There's a $5 suggested donation, which gives you permission to kick back after hours in the galleries with light refreshments and a cash bar, and enjoy a series of lightning-fast presentations: 20 slides, 20 seconds each during which presenters will share stories of their art, business, or passion.
Then on Friday, there's a debut party for the exhibit, "GUITAR: The Instrument That Rocked the World," from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The Berkshire Jazz Collective featuring Andy Wrba plays on alongside, "chart-topping food, complimentary wine, beer, and signature cocktail, and other exciting surprises." Tickets range from $15-$40, and include an exclusive interaction with the exhibit. Info: berkshiremuseum.org
- Kizomba with Ricky and Nikki returns to Rhythms Yoga Dance, 55 Pittsfield Lenox Road, Building 8A, Lenox, from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Learn the steps to this sensuous dance, then dip and spin the night away.
- The monthly DJ BFG Dance Party returns at 9 p.m. to Fuel, 293 Main St., Great Barrington. There's a $5 cover for this 21 and up event.
- Berkshire Salsa Dance present a salsa workshop with Casti of Adiction Dance Studio in Guatemala right here in Pittsfield. Workshop is from 8 to 10 p.m., followed by open dancing with DJ Rolo at the ITAM Lodge, 22 Waubeek Road, Pittsfield. Workshop and dance ticket is $20; $15 for dance only; $5 for youths. Info: Alan Franco at 413-347-2801 or AFranco@BerkshireSalsaDance.com.
- A barbecue dinner and night of country line dancing with Tina and DJ Brian Andrews starts at 6:30 p.m., at the Polish Falcons of America Nest 580, 32 Bel Air Ave., Pittsfield. Admission is $12. Reserve tickets by calling 413-358-2483 or 413-822-9768.
- IS183 Art School of the Berkshires' legendary gala returns. Titled "The Factory," it takes place at The Stationery Factory, 63 Flansburg Ave., Dalton. This year's theme? Think "mash-up mixes the foiled flair of Warhol's pop art, Lucille Ball on the assembly line, Factory Records punk rock mohawks, spikes, and leather along with the everlasting Charlie's Chocolate Factory ..." Dress to inspire and impress. Mingling starts at 6 p.m., dinner at 7 p.m., and the dance party starts at 8:30, with music by J-Wolf and projections by Joe Wheaton. Tickets range from $35-$500. Details: 413-298-5252, ext. 100, is183.org, or email@example.com. All proceeds support art education programs in the Berkshires.
- ZipStohr's Comedy at the Plaza series returns at 8 p.m. in the ballroom of the Crowne Plaza, 1 West St., Pittsfield. The featured lineup of New York City talent includes: Johnny Lampert, Moody McCarthy, Robyn Schall. This age 18 and up event is $25, with proceeds to benefit Pittsfield Kiwanis Club and Pittsfield Girls Softball. Tickets: zipstohr.com or 413-822-2247. Doors open at 6:30.
TALK TO US
If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.